Hey, I’m Phillip. I’m a Systems Architect living in Centurion, South Africa. I am a fan of technology, coffee and programming. I love dogs and music. To keep active I play squash. I was lucky enough to marry my best friend, Charmaine. She is also a geek :)
My Professional Skills
I am an accomplished Software developer and architect offering experience in creating systems in various industries, ranging from banking, insurance, rewards programs, retail and mobile. I have extensive experience in full stack development, and prefer to be active in all parts of the SDLC. From conceptualizing to running in production. I have a passion for clean code and evolutionary architecture. I love Java, Linux and Open source.
Java, Java EE & MicroProfile
I have been writing Java since the beginning of Java and still loving it! I stay up to date with the Language and specifications. I have extensive experience in Enterprise Java, including JAX-RS, JAX-WS, CDI, JAXB, JAXP, XML, JSON-P, JSON, JPA, JDBC, EJB, JTA, JCA, JMS, JSF, JSP, Servlets, WebSockets, Bean Validation, Portlets, Spring, Swagger, Lombok, GraphQL and much more.
I have been running Linux on my Personal PC since 1999, starting with Mandrake and then basically went through many distributions including Red Hat, OpenSUSE, Debian, PCLinuxOS. I then discovered Gentoo Linux, and went from a basic Desktop user to being comfortable with building my own OS on my PC. I also used Ubuntu and Mint. For the past few years I have been using Arch Linux and loving it. I am comfortable running and managing Linux servers and Docker containers.
I enjoy talking and debating about technical concerns. I blog about technical topics and session feedback from conferences. I also enjoy presenting technical topics in forums. I am comfortable running technical meetings and finding solutions around a white board.
- 12 July 2018 - Keynote: Distributed services with MicroProfile at the Java Cloud Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa (slides, video)
- 16 May 2018 - Writing better API’s with GraphQL at the Developer User Group in Pretoria, South Africa (slides)
Published blog articles:
- Your own MicroProfile Config source
- GraphQL on Wildfly swarm
- Hollowjars, Deployment scanner and why Wildfly swarm is cool
- Fatjars, Thinwars and why OpenLiberty is cool
- Some factory examples
- Continuous integration to maven central
- Apiee - An easy way to get Swagger on Java
- Websocket example and the birth of Stompee
- Your own Swagger UI on Liberty
- Monkey methodology
- Google might be wrong
I have been using many tools through the years. Currently these are some of my favorites: GIT, Gogs, Jenkins, Travis CI, Nexus, SonarQube, Maven, Ansible, Netbeans, Atom, Hugo, Jekyll, Eclipse, Docker
Conferences I attended
- Java Cloud Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa
- DevConf ZA 2018, Johannesburg, South Africa
- JavaOne 2017, San Francisco, USA
- SingularityU 2017, Midrand, South Africa
- IBM Interconnect 2016, Las Vegas, USA
- JavaOne 2015, San Francisco, USA
- Mobile World Congress 2011, Barcelona, Spain
- JavaOne 2011, San Francisco, USA
- Oracle Open World 2007, San Francisco, USA